Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Top 8 Nite Liveblog

Today is my birthday, so I'm not doing a full live-blog. Just some highlights, and I'm not blogging the judges' comments unless they say something interesting. In other words, I'm not blogging the judges' comments.

1. Michael Johns - Starts out flat and painful. Gets better when he gets to the main chorus. What's inspirational about this? The high-pitch screaming isn't doing it for me. Kerry: I wasn't impressed. Braden Rating: 6/10 Kerry Rating: 6/10

2. Syesha Mercado - She is singing a song by my least favorite Idol ever. Syesha has a voice that is made to go big. I don't like how she sounds when she is singing small. I think the backup singers are too big in this song and overshadow what is adding up to quite a good performance by Syesha. Kerry: It was kind of forgettable. Braden Rating: 8/10 (ignoring the backup singers trying to overpower her) Kerry Rating: 6.5/10. Update: The judges kept comparing her to Fantasia, so we went and listened to her version of it from when she won season 3. Braden Rating for Fantasia: 3/10 Kerry Rating: 2/10. Nuff said. Okay maybe not enough said: At least Syesha's voice doesn't sound like a cartoon character.

3. Jason Castro - As the song starts, he sounds constipated and short of breath. I would like him a lot more if he didn't breathe into the mic. His actual singing isn't that bad, though... but nothing like Izzy. I'm just not feeling it. Kerry: Overall I liked it a lot. But I wasn't big on the falsetto. Braden Rating: 6/10 Kerry Rating: 7.5/10

4. Kristy Lee Cook - The woman with her head on the chopping block. I think we were :30 seconds in before she finally opened her eyes. Briefly. The singing isn't bad, though. It isn't good, though. She has way too much makeup on. Kerry: I was actually kind of moved. It wasn't the best, though. Braden Rating: 6.5/10 Kerry: 7/10. She may actually be safe this week.

5. David Cook - Mumble mumble mumble. Oh, was I supposed to be singing?
Mumble mumble mumble. Now for a change we move to off-key mumbling and
yelling with terrible-sounding background singers, and now some hand
tattoo that is supposed to mean something. How do you spell fishingforvotes? Kerry: It was aaaaaight.
I'm not mad at him. Braden Rating: 3/10 Kerry Rating: 5/10.

6. Carly Smithson - I see she is still sleeveless, and now we get cleavage to boot. She must be getting desperate. As the song starts, she actually sounds decent, even while continuing to look ugly and too-much-eyeliner-y. Then she gets to the big part and as usual can't handle it. Now it's becoming sloppy. And that's how it ends. Kerry: I didn't really like it. Braden Rating: 5.5/10 Kerry Rating: 5/10. Update: Simon says she may be in trouble. I agree. Then she tries to go for the victim route. Not gonna work.

7. David Archuleta - He starts out below his range, and doesn't get better until he gets to the chorus. Even then, this is somewhat disappointing David. He ends on a good note, though. Kerry: I understand why he started out low, because then when he got to the chorus it was in his range, but it made half the song not very good. Braden Rating: 6.5/10 Kerry Rating: 7/10. Update: The judges loved it, so I went back and listened to it again with my eyes closed. I liked it a whole stinking lot more the second time around. Braden updated rating: 7.5/10. Kerry liked it better as well.

8. Brooke White - Brooke has a tall order to impress me, because I love love love JT. I wasn't big on the beginning, but she picked it up toward the end and added feeling to it. I like how she was more serious, like she understood the message of the song, though I wish the song was just a notch faster. Kerry: I was moved. Braden Rating: 7.5/10 Kerry Rating: 7.5/10. Oh, and by the way, Brooke: I'm not mad at you either. You've got a Friend.

So let's put that in order:

Brooke 7.5
David A 7.25
Syesha 7.25
Kristy 6.75
Jason 6.75
Michael 6
Carly 5.25
David C 4

Yes, you see that correctly (go ahead and cancel the optometrist appointment you just made). Kristy Lee and Syesha are in the top half of our ratings tonight, and really, what other ratings matter?

Bottom 3 predictions:

Braden: Carly, Kristy (still not enough of a fan base), Jason. Carly goes home in a huge upset (and I am a happy man)
Kerry: Kristy, Carly, Syesha. Kristy goes home (although Carly blew it tonight and her going home wouldn't be a huge surprise)


No comments: