Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Top 7 night live(ish)blog

Sorry to be a little late in posting this. I think by the time it goes up, the results will already be known, but I've never been one to peek at my Christmas gifts before the 25th, and I'm not going to check out who gets the boot until I've seen all the videos either.

Mariah Carey night. This tells me that Jason, Kristy, and Carly are in trouble. Just my pre-perfomance predictions.

Seriously, though, what happened to Mariah? She went from one of the best singers in the world to just another R&B girl. Mariah, why did you sell out? Go back to the music that made everyone love you. Oh, and your new single? Some of me weren't likin' it!

On to the show!


1 David Archuleta: I read somewhere on one of the AI blogs that I subscribe to that 40% of those who have gone first this year have then been eliminated. I think it is safe to say that David could belch his song and still be safe. He is singing "When You Believe", which is not technically a Mariah song (she actually did a cover of Michelle Pfieffer if you can believe that). I don't like the whole R&B kick to it, but he is nailing it! I love the way he isn't afraid to let the backup singers take the melody for a minute. I love it! This boy's got pipes, no debating that. Kerry: "I wasn't overly impressed with this first viewing. It may just be the style. I want to give it another chance" Judges: they like it, too. Braden rating: 8.5/10 Kerry rating: 6.5/10

2 Carly Smithson: From the pre-video, you can tell she is going to sing poorly, despite Mariah's best attempts to hint otherwise. She is singing "Without You". It would be great if halfway through, she suddenly starts singing "Ken Leee!" This is starting out flat and without emotion. Now she adds some power, but she is still flat and now we add some nasal tone. Now we get even bigger and she adds some "pitch problems" to the brew. Pretty soon, the stew will be all ready to eat. Kerry: "Her facial expressions are so painful... it is painful for me to watch her!" They are showing a picture of her husband, and it looks like he has a big scar on his forehead to go along with all the ugly tattoos. I know he had been retiscent about going on the show because he didn't want people to judge him for his tats. He should have thought about that before he destroyed his body. Okay, back to idol. Okay, not yet. First I want to say that this was a dumb choice of song for Carly. First, it is too big for her (despite everyone claiming that she has a big voice), and second, if you choose to sing this song after Ken Lee went viral, then you are just asking for comparisons unless you absolutely nail it. She didn't nail it. Judges: mediocre reviews. Thank you for your honesty, Simon. Carly says that she and her cleavage had a good time. Yeah, but we didn't. Braden rating: 4.5/10 Kerry rating: 6.5/10

3 Syesha Mercado: Mariah night should be right up Syesha's alley. It seems like Mariah is really mentoring these kids as opposed to what I saw from Dolly, who just tried to find random praise for each of them. Syesha is singing Vanishing. As we start, Syesha is doing something that I was hoping to see from her: using a strong yet soft voice for the slower, more tender parts of the song. When she finally gets out her big voice, she does a little too much R&B for me, but not a note off key. She nails it. Kerry: "Wow! This girl can sing! She probably picked this song that no one knows to avoid the comparisons." Judges: they liked it. Paula can't stop talking. Braden rating: 8/10 Kerry rating: 8/10

4 Brooke White: Brooke is going to sing "Hero" which is one of my all-time favorite Mariah songs. Tall order. I can't watch the pre-video segment. All I see is the cleavage that is climbing out of Mariah's shirt and spilling on the floor. Um, Mariah, would you mind PUTTING THEM AWAY PLEASE? THIS IS A FAMILY SHOW! thank you. Back to Brooke, who is sitting at the piano to sing. This could go either way. I like this version a lot. There is a definite Brooke spin to it, and everyone knows that I really hope to invite Brooke and her husband over for dinner. When we are done eating, we may even play a game of Scrabble, or maybe Settlers of Cataan. Yes, I know, living life on the edge. Anyway, while I was typing, Brooke was getting faster and faster, until at the end of her two minutes, she had actually sung all of Ms. Carey's songs. Twice. Calm the nerves, Brooke. Kerry: "I liked it, but the fact that it was rushed made it not as good." Judges: Randy likes the singer/songwriter, Paula things she sang too fast, Simon was busy thinking about her buns. The judges are getting out of control with this hamburger analogy. Drop it. Please, just drop it. Haha! Ryan made a funny. Braden rating: 6.5/10 (I want to give it higher, but she just went way too fast. I bet the studio version will rock) Kerry rating: 7/10

5 Kristy Lee Cook: Kristy can't believe she gave Mariah goosebumps. Kerry gives me goosebumps (bonus points!). She is singing "Forever". Kristy, open your eyes. Starts off bad. Doesn't get better. I love her dress, though. Now she is hula dancing. What's up with that? Okay, it gets a little better to the end, but never gets really good. Kerry: "I understand that country is her thing, but I don't like the twang that she puts in. But people seem to like it." Judges: Randy's not mad at her. Paula's blown away. And drunk. And babbly. Thank you, Simon for being honest. Whiny is just the word that I was looking for. Braden rating: 6/10 Kerry rating: 7/10

6 David Cook: Mariah is surprised that David chose "Always be my Baby." Kerry's response: "you think?". Here we go. David needs to resolve his mumbling problem. And his "I can't hold a tune" problem. This better get good at the bridge. He is keeping it way too low. That doesn't do him any favors. I like the beard look on him. TUCK YOUR FREAKING SHIRT IN! meh. Kerry: "I admire him for choosing a very poppy, upbeat song, and changing it up. I just don't think it worked." Judges: We are smoking some kind of hallucinogen but we wont share it with you. I'm disappointed in Simon for his dishonesty. Braden rating: 5/10 Kerry rating: 5.5/10

7 Jason Castro: The best compliment Mariah could find for David is "I think he's really unique." This doesn't bode well. He is singing "I don't Want to Cry". Talk about taking a song in a different direction! He is going kind of Reggae with it. I actually like it, though - except for his breathing into the mic problems that continue. This is a great solution to the "I'm singing a very famous song that people love and don't want to be compared to Mariah" problem. Kerry: "I liked the drum thing. Your butt." Judges: Randy thought it sounded like being at a beach Luau. Paula wants to be at that Luau. Simon is good at the "Leave you hanging about whether he will praise it or not" thing. He liked it. Calls it cool. Braden rating: 8/10 (Jason's best yet) Kerry rating: 7.5/10

So now to put those in order (average Braden and Kerry score):

Syesha: 8
David A: 7.5
Jason: 7.5
Brooke: 6.75
Kristy Lee: 6.5
Carly: 5.5
David C: 5.25


Finally, predictions for the bottom 3:

Braden: Brooke, Carly, Kristy. Carly goes home in another fake outrage moment. Braden is relieved.
Kerry: Brooke, Carly, Kristy. Carly goes home.

1 comment:

G.Ellis said...

I really like Braden & Kerry's posts. In fact, they are becoming an indispensable part of the Idol experience for me this season. I even have a comment of my own:

From a piano lover -- Brooke's song was seriously damaged by that boring, boring piano accompaniment. She could have had back-up singers, an orchestra, or at least a beautiful piano accompinment. Instead we had piano as drum. It was a major distraction. Dum, plum, dum, trum, scrum, hum in the background. Lose the piano already!