Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Final night recap: Mumbly sucks it up

Sorry I haven't been around lately. To admit a mortal foible, I still haven't even watched the performances from last week. It just felt anticlimactic. I knew what would happen, and sure enough, it did.

This week, I can see going either way. I think it will really depend on the performances. So lets see how they perform:

David Cook starts by singing "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2. He starts off way off key. Does everyone else not notice this? It gets better towards the end of the song, but not enough to save it in my eyes. The judges, of course, love it. Braden rating 6/10 Kerry rating 7/10

David Archuleta is singing "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" by Elton John. Tall order because not only is it a tough song, but it was already done by Clay. Here he goes. Wow. Perfection. Well, not quite. There were a few moments where you could feel some self doubt with his eye-closing thing and he faltered just a bit, but Wow. The judges heap the praise on him even beyond what they gave Mumbly. Braden rating 9/10 Kerry rating 9/10.

David Cook chose the songwriter song "Dream Big" by somebodyorother. Off he goes and he is lost in mumblyland. David! David! Over here is the exit to Coherenceville. Come on over! Oh, now he is at the chorus and it is like a whole new song. Can I give him two ratings? I say 2.5 for the verses and 7 for the chorus. Randy and Paula loved it. Paula wants to get married and move to Blue Springs. Simon keeps it real. That was not a winning moment. Braden rating 5.5/10 Kerry rating 5.5/10.

David Archuleta chose the one song that I really liked from the songwriting competition. It is "In This Moment" by Whatsemuhkie. He starts off and I can't hear him because everyone is still cheering. Now they stop and I still can't hear him. He is picking up steam, though. Did he really just say that his window encompasses perfection? I know ALW pointed that out earlier, but really. Okay, now he is getting to the big part of the song and he is on fire. Spot on. One more time, Archie knocks the crap out of Mumbly. The judges love it. Braden rating 8/10 Kerry rating 8/10.

David Cook starts the third round with "The World I Know" by Collective Soul. I love this song and I think that he can really do well with it. Let's see. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Wow, I'm glad that is over. I don't think there was a single moment that I liked in that whole song. It was terrible. Yuck. Wow. That was bad. Paula and Randy loved it, Simon kept it real again. Braden rating 4/10 Kerry rating 6/10.

And to close the show, Mr. A is reprising his amazing "Imagine". I think this is a mistake, because how can he improve on his original performance? He is going to have to bring something new to it, or it will just be at best a reminder that he is a good singer. Then again, all he really needs after those first two performances is to not completely blow it and he will have knocked DC out of the water. He is off, and even the camera uses the same angle as from the first "Imagine" performance. He is changing a few melody points, but this is just Imagine Redux, and while it is still beautiful, it isn't as amazing as the first time he did it. The judges now and Randy just crowned him. Paula wants to squish his head off and hang it from her rear-view mirror, but she is unwilling to betray her secret lover and give Archie the title. Simon has no qualms about saying it like it is. David Archuleta takes the night by a mile. Braden rating 8/10 Kerry rating 8.5/10


So lets tally those ratings up:

David Cook: 6.5, 5.5, 5
David Archuleta: 9, 8, 8.25

For a total average rating of:

David Cook: 5.7
David Archuleta: 8.4

Now for the predictions. I don't think I have left any doubt all season long that I like David Archuleta, but I really came into tonight thinking that it could go either way as to who wins. Now after listening to the performances, however, all I have to say is that David Cook wanted to show us the world he knows, and he certainly dreamed big, but in the end, he still hasn't found what I'm looking for. bah-duhm-ching!

Braden says: David Archuleta wins
Kerry says: David Archuleta wins

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy were you two wrong!
Wrong, wrong, wrong and we are thrilled, thrilled,thrilled!
YAY FOR DAVID COOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!