Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Top 10 Second Chance

It happens often enough that I have a different opinion of a song the second time that I thought I would post a little something about how I feel about the songs after a second listen.

1 Ramiele Malubay: Why do I torture myself by giving this drivel a second chance? Maybe some people just like punishment. This song starts out so high school talent show-y and then gets worse. When she hits the big notes, which her voice can certainly handle, she goes hopelessly off key. And the backup singers aren't helping her. They are screaming just as horrendously as her. Second chance rating: 3/10

2 Jason Castro: Jason, buddy, please please please lose the dreadlocks. Don't you realize that you're head is shaped like a turnip with the dreadlocks. While we are having this conversation Jason, do me a big favor and please poop before you sing, because when you poop while you are singing it is kind of distracting. I'm glad we had this little conversation. Second chance rating: 6.5/10

3 Syesha Mercado: She has a surprisingly crisp voice, but in the song she is running all the words together and not showing that voice off. I'm bored. Maybe I just hate the song, but at least I know I hate the song. I guess she doesn't do that bad with the actual singing, but I'm not feeling what the judges are feeling here. Second chance rating: 6/10

4 Chikezie Eze: I hate the stupid hand-waving thing the crowd plants do. It is so obviously not spontaneous. It is forced and they can never get their hands all waving the same direction at the same time. Anyway, on to Chikeeboy. It sounds to me like he is in incredible pain while singing. I'm an ER nurse. I know what someone in pain sounds like, and he would fit in just fine in a hospital gown complaining of diffuse abdominal pain. Second chance rating: 5/10

5 Brooke White: It is amazing how subconsciously influenced you can be by the judges. After hearing their comments I went away convinced that the second half of her song wasn't very good. Listening to it again, I realize that there are two good songs mixed together here. I could enjoy an entire song with just her rich, sweet voice and the piano, and I could enjoy an entire song of her singing with the orchestra, and I don't think it was bad for her to show both sides. Second chance rating: Still an 8.5/10

6 Michael Johns: I remember really liking the beginning of this and then being let down by the second half. On second review, I concur. When he gets to the parts where he has to sing the higher notes, he just sounds like he is straining. Certainly his best performance, but I would hesitate to run out and buy this version of the song. Second chance rating: 7/10

7 Carly Smithson: I don't want to have to watch her again, but for you, I will. Carly has two facial expressions that make me want to puke. The first is a surprised look she gets every once in a while that is marginally reminiscent of an expression you might get if you were singing on the stage and somebody snuck up behind you and pinched your butt. The second is when she gets to a really big note and closes her eyes tight and opens her mouth really big and she looks surprisingly like Cartman from South Park. It is disturbing. So now I'm watching this again and I'm seeing both looks and noting that she can't stay on key to save her life. I think I was far too kind to her on first review. Second chance rating: 4/10

8 David Archuleta: David chose a terrible song this week. On second review he doesn't do too bad with the actual singing, although he rushes some notes and sounds terrible on the first line, which is way below his range. Wow, I hate this song! All I can see when I hear this is what Simon said. I feel like I'm listening to a Disney save-the-whales musical. So this one is hard for me. David can sing like nothing else, but his song sucked. Second chance rating: 7/10

9 Kristy Lee Cook: I hate her hair. Otherwise, there are a few notes that she just can't hold. Otherwise it is a reasonable performance for her. Nothing special, but reasonable. Really it is her hotness factor that keeps me wanting her to stay in the competition. Second chance rating: 6.5/10

10 David Cook: The judges just ate him up and spittled him on the ground and ate him up again and made babies with his song, so I figured that it was the least I could to to listen one more time. Then again. And again. I'm still not convinced that it is completely his fault, but now I really like this arrangement. In fact, I might be willing to buy this on an album. My big problem with David Cook continues to be that he is a good front man, but not necessarily a great singer in his own right. Second chance rating: 8.5/10

So now to put those in order (the difference from my original rating in parentheses):

Brooke: 8.5 (no change)
David C: 8.5 (+2)
David A: 7 (no change)
Michael: 7 (-1)
Kristy Lee: 6.5 (+ 0.5)
Jason: 6.5 (+1)
Syesha: 6 (- 0.5)
Chikezie: 5 (-1)
Carly: 4 (-1)
Ramiele: 3 (no change)

No comments: