Sunday, March 30, 2008

Season 4 vs Season 7

Professor Chan over at Vote for the Worst has an interesting "cage match" pitting the contestants of Season 4 against those of Season 7. Go take a look and then come back here for my rant.

Here is my response that I posted to him:

I thought that the first cage match was a little over-done. This one was just plain wrong on almost every count. First of all, I'm no big David Cook fan, but saying that the crappy rendition of free-bird that Bice did even comes close to Billie Jean is the biggest leap I can imagine. And if you listen to the Cornell version of Billie Jean, he sings it at a different tempo, different key, and slightly different arrangement. So while it is true that Cook has a habit of covering other's covers, here he actually did put his own take on it and it was better than Cornell.

Second, it appears that you don't like David Archuleta. That's fine, but it is seriously hampering your fairness gene. You put up a song by Federov that probably would have got him eliminated during Hollywood week, being the off-key, mumbly suckage that it was, and expect us to believe that somehow this makes him a better singer than David Archuleta of Imagine fame? Please pull the load of crap out of your ears and listen again. As for Farnham's version, I have two things to say. Number one is that he is singing in a studio with innumerable retakes and practices at his disposal, whereas David is singing on stage with one week to prepare. Second is that I don't even agree that Farnham was better. He has a funny edge to his voice that he consistently uses to his disadvantage. I hate David's song choices as much as the next guy, but you need to recognize that he is a tremendous talent.

Next up, it also appears that you hate Brooke. I think that Brooke is by far the most underrated talent on the show. And if you compare her version of Love is a Battlefield to Carrie, I think that Carrie goes down in flames. Granted they are two very different versions of the song, but Brooke's simple, rich voice brings out the emotion of that song far better than the borderline tuneless yelling of Underwear. In fact, when I was watching the youtube video that you linked to, my wife from the other room asked incredulously "is that Pat Benetar singing live?" When I told her it wasn't, she said, "good, because it was terrible."

I could go on about your terrible comparisons of other singers, but the point doesn't change. You come into this "contest" with an agenda and whatever you do, you must stick with it, so you make unfair comparisons and wild sweeping statements with no real basis. Oh sure, you throw in the occasional "upset" for a season 7 contestant, but it is clear from the start where you are headed.

I never watched Season 4 because I was so disillusioned by Fantasia beating Latoya London in 3, so this was all new to me. I'm glad you put these videos up, though, so that I could see what a tuneless mess season 4 was.

I don't buy into the claim that this season is magically super talented, but they certainly prevail against everyone in season 4 with the exception of Carrie.

I'm calling BS on this one.

1 comment:

EveLeaf said...

Aw - don't beat up on Carrie! I adored her ever since her Heart song on season 4.